A resume is the first step in your job search
If you are a student in a medical assistant program, you will soon be ready to look for a job in your new career field. You’ll finally get to put to use the new skills you have been learning! To start out on your job search, the first thing you will need is a new resume.
Writing a resume does not have to be hard. Most resumes follow a standard format that includes specific sections such as Objective, Professional Skills, Education, and Experience. To give you an idea of what to include, try searching for medical assistant resumes online. You can try this one for starters!
Sample Resume: Medical Assistant
333 Harris School Street
Pennsauken, NJ 08102
To provide compassionate patient care, high quality medical assisting skills, and efficient office help in a family medicine practice.
MEDICAL ASSISTANT SKILLS
– Providing friendly and courteous service to patients
– Measuring vital signs
– Performing phlebotomy/blood draw
– Administering injections
– Handling specimen collection
– Assisting with basic office procedures
– Understanding medical terminology
ADMINISTRATIVE AND TECHNOLOGY SKILLS
– Medical billing and coding procedures/insurance claims
– Patient scheduling
– MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook)
– Electronic health records
– First Aid and CPR (American Heart Association)
General Family Practice, Voorhees, NJ – June 2017 to August 2017
Medical Assistant Intern (XX-hours unpaid internship)
– Brought patients to exam rooms
– Measured height, weight, temperature, and blood pressure on patients of all ages
– Prepared specimens for lab
– Learned patient records system
– Shadowed a medical assistant
Bed, Bath, and Beyond, Cherry Hill, NJ – June 2015 to July 2016
– Served over 100 customers per shift in a fast-paced store
– Responsible for point-of-sale transactions
– Maintained courteous attitude toward shoppers
– Provided advice to customers
– Responded professionally to customer questions and complaints
Harris School of Business, Cherry Hill, NJ (Camden County)
Medical Assistant diploma, August 2017
XXX-hour program; XX-hour internship placement
Any Town High School, Pennsauken, NJ
And there it is! It’s not that hard to write a resume, is it? For additional tips on making your resume the best it can be, try 5 Great Resume Tips for Online Job Applications. As you are preparing for your job search, you should also create a LinkedIn profile. LinkedIn profiles contain more detail than you resume, and will help show employers that you have a professional online presence.
With the right preparation, you can be ready to start on your job search as you are nearing your graduation date. For more job search tips, visit your Career Services offices. The Career Services staff is there to help!
The Harris School of Business provides job training, career advice, and everyday tips in its weekly blog. Visit our website to find out how you can enroll in career-focused training.