Get ready for the big day with these questions
If you have a job interview coming up, that’s terrific news! An interview means that you’ve made it past the first cut. The employer is interested in learning more about you! That’s why it’s super important that you are prepared when you walk in that office door.
One of the best ways to prepare for an interview is to practice answering sample questions. There’s no way to know for sure what an employer will ask, but sample questions will get you more comfortable talking about yourself and your qualities. The more you practice, the more you can develop key phrases, speak articulately, and respond with confidence.
Sample interview questions
1. Tell me about yourself.
2. Why are you applying for this job?
3. What qualities make you a good candidate for this job?
4. What training/experience do you have that makes you qualified for the job?
5. Describe your past work experience that is relevant to this job.
6. Why are you interested in this career field?
7. Describe a situation where you had to resolve a problem and how you handled it.
8. Give an example of how you work well on a team.
9. Describe how you handle difficult people.
10. How do others describe you?
11. What are your career goals in the next five years?
12. Describe how you prioritize your responsibilities.
13. Describe a job where you have had to juggle multiple projects and how you have handled it.
14. Give an example of when you have been proactive.
15. What are you doing to continue to further your education or training?
Once you’ve thought of responses to these questions, the next step is to practice them out loud. Here are some strategies for preparing:
- Practice in front of a mirror
- Make a video of yourself so you can critique your responses
- Write down key phrases that you like and memorize them
- Look up other sample questions online and practice them too
- Ask a friend to ask you the questions
- Make an appointment for a mock interview with a career services professional
With these practice tips and sample questions, you should be well on your way to being prepared for your next job interview. For more advice on job interviews, try these related articles:
We hope these resources help you get ready for the big day! The more you prepare, the less nervous you should be. Once you are ready, remember to take a deep breath, hold your head up high, and go for it!
The Harris School of Business, with campuses across the Delaware Valley, offers career training for students interested in medical assisting, dental assisting, massage therapy, medical billing and coding, and more. Find out about enrolling at the Harris School by contacting us online.