A skills-based resume is a helpful way to start out
When you are just coming out of a career training program, you may not yet have a lot of relevant work experience to include on your resume. In this case, you may want to write a skills-based resume, instead of an experience-based resume. In a skills-based resume, you can list the workplace skills that you have learned during your education program.
Be sure to compare your list of skills with the job ad you are applying for, and try to use the employer’s terminology where possible. For instance, if the ad says “requires phlebotomy experience” and you write “blood drawing,” as one of your skills, the employer’s computer scan may not pick up that you have this skill. Always stay truthful; you should never lie about your skills just to match the job ad, but you should use the employer’s terminology as long as you possess those job skills. See the resume sample below to get some ideas, and then you are ready to get started!
Medical Assistant Sample Resume
Phone (home and cell)
To obtain a challenging position in a medical setting that will allow me to utilize my education and experience.
Harris School of Business, Linwood, New Jersey
Graduate, Professional Medical Assistant Program, May 2013
|720-hour program, 180-hour externship program
Medical Office Skills
Medical Law & Ethics
Medical Office Manager
Vital Signs, EKG
Medical Assistant & Clinical Procedures
|Medical Office Procedures
Billing Insurance & Coding
Anatomy & Physiology
AC Medical Associates, Atlantic City, New Jersey
Medical Assistant Extern, March 2015 - May 2015
- Prepared examination rooms, took patient histories and vital signs, completed patients’ charts.
Footlocker, Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey.
Retail Sales Associate , September 2007 – February 2015
- Greeted and responded to all customers in a friendly manner, ensured proper merchandise presentation, operated the cash register in accordance with policies and procedures, maintained clean work area at all times.
- Provided customer service according to all Footlocker customer service guidelines. Performed opening and closing duties.
Rainforest Café, Atlantic City, New Jersey
Hostess, June 2013 – September 2013
- Professionally and courteously greeted customers, provided tours of the restaurant, and prompt seating.
Friendly’s, Northfield, New Jersey
Waitress, October 2011 – April 2013
- Made menu suggestions as required.
- Took food and beverage orders.
- Provided outstanding customer service.
CPR & First Aid, American Heart Association
Available on request.