December festivities put students and staff in the giving spirit
Cherry Hill, NJ – There is no doubt that going to career school is a lot of work, but everyone needs a break now and then. Students enrolled in career training at the Harris School look forward to the months of November and December, when the campus is jumping with holiday activities. Classes are still in session, but there is an excitement in the air that lifts up everyone’s spirit.
This year’s holiday season is no exception. Take a look at all the events happening at the Cherry Hill campus! Our campus, located just 15 minutes from downtown Philadelphia, is getting involved with community projects and onsite activities that demonstrate just how generous and thoughtful our students are during the giving season.
- Honoring our service men and women. For Veteran’s Day, our Massage Therapy students reached out to fellow Harris students who have served in the U.S. military, and offered free massages in appreciation of their service. For those who have served, we salute you!
- Giving to the Food Drive. In November, students and staff got into the giving spirit with a food drive for Thanksgiving. Students donated non-perishable items, which helped to create full Thanksgiving dinners for four families. With just a little effort from so many people, we pulled our resources and were able to make Thanksgiving special for these families.
- Gaming around the Campus. To liven up the holidays, the staff devised a scavenger hunt around the campus with clues that required a little detective work. Winning students got a free lunch.
- Entering the Raffle. Raffles can be great incentivizers. When we noticed that some students were missing classes around the holidays, we realized it was time to hold an attendance raffle! The chance to win prizes helped boost our attendance and keep students excited about coming to school.
- Pinning of the Stars Ceremony. When students reach the end of their classroom training and are getting ready to go out on their internships, they can participate in a pinning ceremony to celebrate their achievement. Over 50 people attended December’s ceremony, and students joined together to have a buffet lunch for everyone in attendance.
- Guessing how many! It’s time for the Holiday Candy Jar contest. Students can each enter one guess to try to determine how much candy is in the candy jar on Ms. Wacker’s desk in the Internship office. The person who guesses the closest—without going over—will win a $25 Visa gift card. Guesses are due by December 14. Give it a try!
- Feeding the hungry: Join the holiday giving tradition by helping out at our service project! Students are invited to the student lounge on December 16 from 9:30am -11:30 to help make 300 peanut butter and jelly bagged lunches for the Unforgotten Haven. This non-profit is located in Blackwood, NJ, and its mission is to help those less fortunate. The lunches will be delivered to people who are homeless or hungry. Be sure to sign up with your instructor first, so we know how many people will be helping.
We are so pleased to be able to offer these activities for the student body, and enjoy the opportunity to get to know the students better through the social events and charitable activities that we enjoy during the holiday season.
If you are interested in learning more about the career training options at our Cherry Hill location, don’t hesitate to contact us! In Cherry Hill, we offer career-focused programs in four career paths: Massage Therapy, Professional Medical Assistant Plus, Health Claims Specialist Plus, and Legal Office Technology. We would be happy to give you a holiday tour, or a tour any time of year!