fbpx

Fun Dental Facts

dental triviaDental trivia you never would have guessed

The Harris School of Business is proud of the students in our Dental Assistant program. Through our program, students become versed in dental terminology, office procedures, chairside assisting, and all the skills and knowledge they need to enter the job market with marketable skills.

While we want our students to study hard, we also know that every once in a while, it’s fun to take a break. We invite you to take a step away and learn some fun trivia about the field of dentistry. Enjoy these fun facts:

  • If you brush your teeth twice a day, two minutes each time, you will spend about 80 days of your life brushing your teeth by the time you are 80 years old!
  • Did you know tooth enamel is the hardest substance in the human body?
  • Brushing your teeth alone only reaches about 60% of your tooth surfaces. That’s why you need to floss—to reach the other 40%!
  • Just like your fingerprints, your teeth are unique to you. (That’s why dental records can be used to identify bodies.) And guess what, your tongue print is unique too!
  • Have you ever heard that George Washington’s teeth were made of wood? That’s a myth! They were believed to have been made of a mixture of ivory, animal teeth, human teeth, and various metal alloys.
  • The biggest animal on earth has no teeth! The blue whale has baleen instead, which catch small fish while the whale swims.
  • We all know sugar is bad for our teeth. Did you know there are over 9 teaspoons of sugar in a can of soda?
  • We have between 2,000 and 8,000 tastebuds that can perceive five key tastes: salty, sour, bitter, sweet, and unami.
  • The first type of toothbrush known to historians was made of tree twigs, which were chewed until the fibers spread out.
  • The tooth fairy is getting more generous. According to a USA today article in 2016, the average payout for a tooth is now over $4!
  • You probably know that smoking is bad for your lungs, but did you know it is bad for your gums too? Smoking is a major contributor to gum disease.
  • Have you ever heard that it takes more muscles to frown than it does to smile? It’s true! Try out a smile today!

If you’ve enjoyed our trivia and are interested in learning more about what we do at the Harris School of Business, look up our Dental Assistant training program today. We’ve got locations throughout Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey, and Connecticut. We hope your future begins at the Harris School!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *