As college tuitions are on the rise, students consider other options
Linwood, NJ: If you are in high school and concerned about going to college, you are not alone. The cost of a four-year college can be prohibitive for many people, and the thought of going into a mountain of debt is not appealing.
Should you go to college? Or are there better alternatives for you? When you are deciding what to do, there will be many pros and cons that you will think about. The most important thing is to make a decision that works for you. Remember, no one can know what you want as well as you can.
The Harris School of Business in Linwood, NJ is proud to provide career-focused education to the residents of the Linwood community and other parts of South Jersey. We believe that four-year colleges can be perfect for some students, and that for other students, a career training model is the way to go. It all depends on you: your strengths, your interests, and your goals.
Below are some thoughts about college versus career training schools. See where you fit in, and try to make the decision that is best for you.
Benefits of 1-year career training schools
- You will learn marketable job skills with less emphasis on academic subjects
- You can complete a job training program in less than 1 year
- You will save time and money by going to school for just 1 year
- You will have less debt after school than if you attended a 4-year program
- You will earn a diploma (but not a degree)
- You will have Career Services advisors who can help you find a job
- You will be ready for the workforce in a short period of time
Benefits of 4-year colleges
- You have more time to choose your career path
- You have more curriculum choices
- You may be qualified for higher paying jobs
- You may have more career choices and more opportunities for advancement
- You can earn a degree
- You can decide to further your education and apply to graduate schools
Where to begin
If you are not sure where to begin, start by assessing your career interests at Education Planner. On this free site, you can take a self-assessment of your strengths, interests, and goals. This will help you narrow down the educational path that is right for you.
Another useful resource is the NCES College Navigator. This online tool is a searchable database of colleges and career schools throughout the country. You can search by geographical location and by what kind of program you are looking for. It is a great place to start your search.
Getting Career Training in South Jersey
The Harris School is an accredited career-focused school that offers training in over 10 different fields. Our Linwood location focuses on training in four programs:
If you are interested in learning more about career-focused training in South Jersey, take a moment to schedule a tour of our Linwood campus. We also have South Jersey campuses in Cherry Hill and Voorhees, NJ. We are so pleased to be located in the South Jersey region, and hope that you decide to start your career path with us.