Choose professional clothing to make a great impression
When men are deciding how to dress for an interview, it is important to remember to look professional. You want your clothing to indicate that you are serious about the job, as well as show that you respect the interviewer.
1. Wear a suit and tie.
- Wear a well-fitting three-button suit in a dark color with matching pants.
- Wear a long-sleeve white or solid blue button-down shirt. Make sure it is ironed.
- Wear a conservative tie in either a solid color or with a small printed pattern.
- Wear a dark-colored belt.
- Make sure your socks are as dark or darker than your pants. They should be long enough so that none of your leg shows when you sit down.
- If you do not have a suit, wear a white or solid blue dress shirt with a conservative tie and dress pants. Make sure everything is ironed.
- Wear dress shoes, such as oxfords, wingtips, or loafers. They should be in good condition and polished with no scuff marks.
- Don’t hesitate to ask a friend or family member for advice on how you look.
2. Limit accessories: handling tattoos and jewelry.
- It is better not to wear any jewelry except for a wedding band if you are married.
- Make sure your hair is cut neatly.
- Make sure you are clean shaven and that any facial hair is neatly shaped.
- If possible, wear clothing that will cover tattoos and piercings.
- Do not wear cologne.
3. Bring only a small portfolio and turn off your phone.
- A small portfolio-sized binder that can hold copies of your resume, references, and a pen should be all you need.
- Make sure your cell phone is turned off. Store it out of sight for the entire interview.
Men using these tips for how to dress for an interview can get ready to make a good impression!
Download 3 Tips for How to Dress for an Interview for Men