If you go to a massage therapist school, you can learn popular techniques to prepare you for a job in a spa, clinic, or other facility
Have you noticed massage franchises opening near you? In the field of health and wellness, massage therapy is becoming more mainstream as spas and franchises are opening up at nearby malls and shopping areas. If you are interested in pursuing a job in this field, you may want to find a massage therapist school near you. With the right training, you will learn to perform a whole variety of techniques and therapies. What are some of the popular techniques that people enjoy?
1. Swedish massage. Most people have heard of a Swedish massage, but what is it? Swedish massage is a Western form of massage that is popular in the United States. It is a full-body technique designed to bring about full relaxation. It is also intended to increase the level of oxygen in the blood, improve your circulation, ease tensions, and decrease the level of toxins in your muscles. During your appointment, the therapist will use long, smooth strokes, firm kneading, bending, and stretching.
2. Hot Stone Therapy. This practice features stones that are warmed in a special machine designed to heat the stones to a comfortable temperature. The therapist then places the warm stones at particular places on your body, such as along your back or in your hands. The warmth from the stones helps to release tension in the muscles, and also can produce a calming effect. The use of hot stones can be part of a Swedish massage.
3. Deep tissue massage. This therapy can be similar to a Swedish massage, but it targets specific areas of the body that need extra work. Using slow movements, therapists use deeper pressure to help release muscle tension, targeting the deepest layers of muscle where the tension resides. This type of therapy can also target tendons, connective tissues, ligaments, joints, and other areas of the body. People often request this technique to help alleviate sore necks, stiffness in the shoulders, lower back tightness, and tension in other areas. Some people find this type of therapy to be painful at times, but they feel relief after the appointment has been completed. Deep tissue massage can also aid in the healing process and can help you relax.
Students who choose to go to a massage therapist school will learn about these three types of massage as well as many others, such as Thai massage, Shiatsu, reflexology, aromatherapy, sports massage, and more.
If you are interested in pursuing a career in this field, you may be able to find a career-focused school near you that offers this program. For residents of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware, the Harris School of Business offers a massage therapy program as well as a whole range of career-focused programs, including many in the allied health field. Visit our list of programs if you want to find out more.
When you are searching for the right school for you, here are some of the questions you might want to ask:
- Is the school accredited?
- Is the school close to your home?
- Does the class schedule work with your other responsibilities?
- Are the instructors experienced in the career field?
- Are there internships or externships that give you hands-on experience?
- What is the placement rate of students after graduation?
Whether you choose massage therapy, medical assistant programs, dental assistant training, medical billing training, or another career training program, you will want to be sure your career-focused school is a good fit for you. Take your time when making your decision, and don’t be afraid to ask questions. Remember, this is your career, and you want to be sure you are making the choice that is best for you!